What's new

How do I keep data when installing Windows 12?

I'm late, but how on earth did you get that so perfect? Like the quality and changed the text!!???
I used my trusty old PaintShop Pro 7.04. If you are unfamiliar with it, think 'photoshop'....

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 11 Home
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 3 A315-23
    CPU
    AMD Athlon Silver 3050U
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    laptop screen
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768 native resolution, up to 2560x1440 with Radeon Virtual Super Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1TB HDD
    Browser
    Edge, Firefox
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    fully 'Windows 11 ready' laptop. Windows 10 C: partition migrated from my old unsupported 'main machine' then upgraded to 11. A test migration ran Insider builds for 2 months. When 11 was released on 5th October it was re-imaged back to 10 and was offered the upgrade in Windows Update on 20th October.

My SYSTEM THREE is a Dell Latitude 5410, i7-10610U, 32GB RAM, 512GB ssd, Windows 11 Pro.

My SYSTEM FOUR is a 2-in-1 convertible Lenovo Yoga 11e 20DA, Celeron N2930, 4GB RAM, 128GB ssd. Unsupported device: currently running Win10 Pro, plus Win11 Pro 22H2 RP as a native boot vhdx.
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Lattitude E4310
    CPU
    i5 M 520
    Motherboard
    0T6M8G
    Memory
    4GB
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500GB HDD
    Browser
    Firefox, Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    unsupported machine: Legacy bios, MBR, TPM 1.2, upgraded from W10 to W11 using W10/W11 hybrid install media workaround.

My SYSTEM THREE is a Dell Latitude 5410, i7-10610U, 32GB RAM, 512GB ssd, Windows 11 Pro.

My SYSTEM FOUR is a 2-in-1 convertible Lenovo Yoga 11e 20DA, Celeron N2930, 4GB RAM, 128GB ssd. Unsupported device: currently running Win10 Pro, plus Win11 Pro 22H2 RP as a native boot vhdx.
I used my trusty old PaintShop Pro 7.04. If you are unfamiliar with it, think 'photoshop'....
Wow. I don't get how it is so perfect!! I might download it through the archive.org links @Ghot put up... would you recommend? I use photopea right now

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 12 21H2
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Manufacturer/Model
    Microsoft would like to know your location
    CPU
    Pluton
    Memory
    1026GB RAM
Wow. I don't get how it is so perfect!! I might download it through the archive.org links @Ghot put up... would you recommend? I use photopea right now
It's more to do with artistic skills and patience than any particular software. With a bit of effort I once managed to 'photoshop' a photo to remove unwanted items just using MS Paint, copying and pasting bits from other parts of the photo over the unwanted parts - hard work, but can be done.

I know my way round PaintShop Pro, I've been using it since version 4.12. I've not really tried any others ;)

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 11 Home
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 3 A315-23
    CPU
    AMD Athlon Silver 3050U
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    laptop screen
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768 native resolution, up to 2560x1440 with Radeon Virtual Super Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1TB HDD
    Browser
    Edge, Firefox
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    fully 'Windows 11 ready' laptop. Windows 10 C: partition migrated from my old unsupported 'main machine' then upgraded to 11. A test migration ran Insider builds for 2 months. When 11 was released on 5th October it was re-imaged back to 10 and was offered the upgrade in Windows Update on 20th October.

• Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Lattitude E4310
    CPU
    i5 M 520
    Motherboard
    0T6M8G
    Memory
    4GB
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500GB HDD
    Browser
    Firefox, Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    unsupported machine: Legacy bios, MBR, TPM 1.2, upgraded from W10 to W11 using W10/W11 hybrid install media workaround.

Hello all.

I'm currently in the process of installing Windows 12- found the iso in the big MOD Database, I managed to bypass some of the limitations through secret registry hacks.
I've come to the part of the install just before my drive gets wiped, but how do I keep all my data?

Thanks,

-James :)
Whether this was a serious question or not,every time I read it, I come up with the same answer,"how did you keep your data with previous OS upgrades?"

I'm afraid that for all too many people, some even reading this forum, that is a legitimate question.
Of course the age old answer is, "you back up your data to an external device, either a Flash Drive, External Hard Drive or a DVD if you have one. And every time your data changes, you update your backups.
I do this in just seconds, by running a batch file, using XCOPY, to back up only files that are new or files that have been changed, like my car maintenance spreadsheet. It's quick, simple and I've never lost one bit of data, in decades.

Cheers Mates!
TM :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 11/Pro/64
Whether this was a serious question or not,every time I read it, I come up with the same answer,"how did you keep your data with previous OS upgrades?"

I'm afraid that for all too many people, some even reading this forum, that is a legitimate question.
Of course the age old answer is, "you back up your data to an external device, either a Flash Drive, External Hard Drive or a DVD if you have one. And every time your data changes, you update your backups.
I do this in just seconds, by running a batch file, using XCOPY, to back up only files that are new or files that have been changed, like my car maintenance spreadsheet. It's quick, simple and I've never lost one bit of data, in decades.

Cheers Mates!
Deep, wow.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 12 21H2
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Pluton
    Memory
    1026GB RAM
Well, you know me, James. I AM a deep thinker. And I feel it's my duty to drop a little logic every now and again.
Even while joking around, I'm haunted by memories of so many of my customers from years past, loosing all their years of accumulated pictures and personal data, because they were either too stupid or just too lazy to do proper backups.
I've even set up Great backup systems for many of them, only to discover months or years later that they never used them.
And, I've spent days, here in my little shop, trying to recover data from a crashed HD, or discombobulated OS, that could no longer boot up a system.
My old saying, "the only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to do."

I've preached it, and shouted it from the roof tops, "Backup! Backup! Backup!" till I've lost my voice, but still they don't listen.
James, I'm 80 years old, tired, and disgusted, and about to just pack it in. I've been working with computers, one way or another since 1964. Enough already!

But I'm glad to see that you're still with us.
Happy Fathers' Day,
PS: How about a class, a test and an operators license for Computer operators?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 11/Pro/64
Years ago, before Windows was even a casual thought (or nightmare) in some programmer's mind, I was setting up Backup Systems, for individuals, an Insurance Co, and even a Bank. Those backups were all done to 5.25" Floppy Disks, or Tape.
And, they took some time, but when the backup was done, the data was safe. Usually in a fireproof Vault.

Happy Fathers' Day

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 11/Pro/64
May or may not be guilty of the lack of backups.. I don’t keep anything important like photos or documents on my pc anyway, but still….

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 12 21H2
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Pluton
    Memory
    1026GB RAM
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 12 21H2
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Pluton
    Memory
    1026GB RAM
It's almost "Independence Day" and I just feel like tossing a little sanity into this mixmaster of INsanity. OK?

Like so many PC users, I do generate data files of many types, including pictures, Doc's, .mp4's etc.
But, 'unlike' so many users, who have data files scattered all over their HD's, I have confined mine to just five folders, not on my C: drive.
Usually on D: or E:.
And I can quickly access any of those five folders from Shortcuts located on my Desktop.

Those five folders are very easily backed up (copied) to any number of different media, like a Flash Drive, secondary internal HD, External HD or even burned to DVD's for permanent storage.

For my backups, I don't rely on any outside program. I use what came with Windows, , , XCOPY. I started using it back in DOS 6.22 days, and became very familiar with all its capabilities, and there are many. And it's always there when I need it, on every version of Windows that I might install. I've never had to download it, install it, or pay for it, it's just THERE! The first copy I got was on a 3.5" Floppy disk.
(I hope it will be there in Windows 12 too)

Unfortunately, there are so many high and mighty types that think it's beneath them to use a DOS command to do anything.
Why not? Those commands have been included in Windows since way back when. And they still work!
If memory serves, XCOPY was included in DOS 6.22, my favorite!

Even just in installing Windows xx, I run several DOS Batch Files to make little adjustments to Windows, set up my Desktop, etc.

The bottom line: Don't scatter your data all over your C: drive. Consolidate it into just a few folders that you can easily back up, to some external device and then, , , Backup! Backup! Backup!

Y'all have a Happy 4th of July now, Y'hear?

TM :cool;

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 11/Pro/64

Users who are viewing this thread

Back